Everyone knows what a pimple looks like, but not quite so many people know what causes one. A pimple is formed when the natural oils (sebum) produced by your skin become trapped inside a pore. This causes swelling and you get a pimple. If the pimple then becomes infected, the surrounding skin will also turn red and pus may develop. Hormonal activity and stress are the main culprits, causing pimples to develop.
Very few people go spotlessly through their teens and early twenties. When acne becomes irritated, it leaves signs on the skin called acne scars. There are several steps you can take, if you are afflicted with these pimples.
- Lemon or lime juice is rich in citric acid and can exfoliate your skin to prevent acne spots. Take lemon juice, glycerin, and almond oil in equal quantity. Mix and preserve it in a bottle, and apply on the face at night. It is an excellent lotion to remove pimples and blackheads from your face.
- If you already have acne, apply a small amount of toothpaste on your pimple before going to bed. Use toothpaste that contains mint, as mint will get rid of the swelling and dry up the pimple.
- Another remedy is to take one tablespoon of honey and combine it with one tablespoon of yogurt. Apply on the skin for treating pimples.
- Mix baking soda with water in such amounts that would be sufficient for your face. Gently massage the paste on your face for ten to fifteen seconds, then wash it with water. Baking soda is a very effective scrub for your face to remove acne as well as scars. Repeat this once a week.
- Use a gentle cleanser or mild soap on your face in the mornings and evenings. Use a medicated soap on the spotty areas of your body.
- Eat a balanced diet, containing a sufficient amount of essential vitamins and minerals – vitamins A and B are particularly good for skin.
- Squeeze, pick or touch your pimples – you could cause infection, developing a single blemish into a nasty crop of pustules.
- Use heavy moisturizers and foundations – light powder or cream is the best make-up choice.